Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Whole Six Yards… II

‘My tryst with the ethereal Sari’

Forget the Gandhis and the Rekhas… lets focus on ‘normal people’ who are transformed into women of substance on adorning this six yard enigma… like me!

My experiment with the sari dates back to Std XII (farewell)... and I have felt beautiful in one, everytime...

Yes, even when the first time I wore it outside the safety of Ram Daya and it gave away, most embarassingly, in my school compound! Even when Freida Miss, my 7th grade teacher, draped it up again, in the sidelines of the Middle School block... Even when I had to ride a bike (triples, mind you), climb the stairs, catch a train, walk the 0.5 km distance to MCW, run up three flight of stairs to the auditoriums or even break into an extempore dance to Dola re... Even on the eve of my wedding, perspiring despite the AC room and stripped in front of ten 'helpers'… Even at a swank DB Party at a posh Hyatt and went breathless at the voice of the performer…

Even when I have always been 5 feet and never the 50 kg taj mahal :), I have felt beautiful in the Sari.

And not without good reason, for the mystical sari tactically camouflages the wearer’s flaws while brilliantly flaunting her assets!!! ;)

Agreed, they are not the most convenient for today’s superwoman who has to juggle between her home and office… its quicker to zip up trousers and button up shirts, than pleat saris and pin up pallus but IMHO it is still the most elegant of clothes in the history of mankind (should I say, womankind???) …

I do admit to fantasies of me decked up in that flowing white ball gown with a train or an exquisite kimono with its flying sleeves... but the Sari rules the roost, true to my roots  And I guess most women would agree with me!

My wardrobe comprises of various textures - crisp cottons, chic chiffons, heavenly rubber silks, classy Kanjeevarams, dashing Benares and sleek synthetics; however, the eye-catching Ikkats, aesthetic Pochampallis and bright Bandhinis beckon me to take them home… guess my love affair with the sari shall continue… after all, doesn’t a Sari represent the Indian feminity, like no other attire 

Boy, am glad I am a woman!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you are right on the "most elegant dress" part. Truly every woman looks her prettiest best in a saree making us men drool over'em :)

    And as for the draping part...my wife will vouch for the user friendliness...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete